I found this recipe via a friend on Facebook who made a few tweaks from the original which I then tweaked some more. That's the wonderful thing about soups, right? The tweakability. This is a quick and easy soup to throw together to spruce up the classic Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup dinner. And if you were planning on opening a can of Campbell's Tomato and just adding some spices, you might as well open a can of crushed tomatoes, right? So go on now. Rummage through your pantry. I'm sure you have everything needed. Enjoy! Feeds 4-6
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 1 T Olive oil
- 1/4 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 'canned' red pepper chopped
- 1 t cumin
- a dash or two of red pepper flakes
- 4 c chicken or vegetable broth
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry couscous(if you don't have a large container of couscous on hand, please note that a box of couscous will yield you three soups!)
- Sour Cream
-- Add broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Let boil 5 minutes.
-- Add couscous and reduce heat. Let cook for 8 minutes and then remove from heat.
-- Top with sour cream and cilantro!
** The original recipe called for a chile pepper in adobe sauce - something I didn't have on hand. But with a little research, I found that you can use either a red pepper or chopped chiles along with cumin and red pepper flakes to get (nearly) the exact same result.