Thursday, May 19, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup




We first had this soup at a friend's house and when we got into the car, Scot turned to me before we even started to drive and said "You have to get that recipe!" So I did. And I decided to make it before the weather turned too warm to have the stove on. I love the addition of the noodles, it gives it a hearty feel without being heavy. Have some bread and a salad ready and you're set. As a side note, I had this once over a baked potato and it was amazing!

Broccoli Cheese Soup
Feeds 10

  • 2 T oil or butter
  • 3/4 c chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 6 c chicken broth
  • 8 oz thin spaghetti noodles
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 - 10 oz pks frozen broccoli florets
  • 5-6 c milk
  • 1 lb Velveeta cheese- cubed
-- In large dutch oven (or large stock pot) heat oil and saute onion and garlic 3 minutes - until onions are translucent
-- Add chicken broth and bring to boil. Slowly add pasta so that the boil is uninterrupted. Cook 3 minutes.
-- Stir in broccoli, milk, cheese and salt/pepper to taste. Stir until cheese is melted.


NOTE: I have this personal thing against Velveeta. I don't mind eating it in dishes made for me, I just don't like buying it and cooking with it, so I substituted a lb of Colby Jack in this dish, but that didn't turn out as smooth and creamy as I would have liked. So next time I make this, I'm going to do the whole butter+flour+milk+cheese=creamy cheesy goodness trick and see if that works better.

The whole pot-full...

No comments:

Post a Comment