Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Pineapple Curry Quinoa

Ok. Before you look at this and say "Sarah! Another quinoa dish?!" let me just tell you that this was my favorite yet of our heart healthy meals with quinoa. Once I make the sweet potato and black bean dish again with quinoa, I may change my mind, but for now, this dish is at the top of my list! It could be the absence of cumin (that I was getting a little tired of) or the sweet pineapple paired with the Sugar Snap Peas, but whatever it was, it left me wanting more but not having enough room! I got the base for this recipe off a new blog I'm not following, Poor Girl Eats Well, but I added in the snap peas because I remember making this dish a year ago and thought I'd try it! I also cut out all oil and used pineapple juice instead. I served this with my new vegan-ized Cold Berry Soup, and while I had a green salad to go with it, after eating both the quinoa dish and the soup, I was stuffed and put the salad away!

Also, I just went out and bought Millet and Bulgar and two different kinds of lentils! Yay for broadening my horizons! Now to just find recipes....

Oh, and did I mention how easy this is to throw together? Or that there's no actual cooking involved? Amazingly sweet, I'd say!

Pineapple Curry Quinoa
Serves 4
  • 2 c cooked quinoa
  • 1 1/2 c pineapple tidbits (reserve some of the juice before handing over a tall glass to your 3 year old as a treat!)
  • 1/3 c diced red onion
  • Small bag of Sugar Snap Peas (microwave them in some water for about 2 minutes until they're bright bright green)
  • 1/4 c finely chopped cilantro
  • 3 T pineapple juice
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 T honey or agave
  • 2 1/2 t curry powder
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
-- Mix together the pineapple juice, vinegar, honey, curry, and garlic until all combined.
-- Toss together the cooked quinoa, drained pineapple, onion, peas, and cilantro in a bowl.
-- Pour dressing over salad and mix well.
-- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment