Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers



I don't even know how to start this post, so please forgive me if it's jumbled! Scot and I both liked this meal. We like the "stuffing" better by itself, so if I make this again in the peppers, I'll up the spices a little so the pepper doesn't overpower the wonderful taste of the "stuffing". But - seeing as bell peppers can be quite pricey, I think what I'll do next time is make this into a hearty one-meal salad type dish with cut up bell peppers in it. Also, I think I'll add slivered almonds, some sliced green onions, carrots, and chickpeas next time.

This recipe makes a ton, too! I could have filled 5 or 6 peppers! That's 10 - 12 pepper halves, people! So we obviously had leftover stuffing, and I just ate it on it's own for lunch today. Delish! This recipe is so incredibly flexible, it can bend over backwards and then backward again. Seriously. I deviated so far from the original (boring) recipe and I will deviate even more next time. They were so easy to throw together, too! Here they are ready to get popped in the oven. Don't they look so summer-yummy?

Even my 3 year old loved them!

But now, for the recipe.

Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
  • 1.5 c Bulgar (uncooked) - You could use brown rice, millet or quinoa instead
  • 4 whole red peppers - halved and seeded
  • 2 small granny smith apples - peeled and chopped
  • 1 cucumber - diced
  • 2 cups tomatoes - diced
  • 1/2 cup total of raisins or craisins or both
  • 2 t OO
  • 2 T lime juice
  • 2-3 T basil
  • 1 T Herbs de Provence or Italian spices
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 1 T curry
--Cook Bulgar according to directions (1/5 dry bulgar to 3 cups water. Boil water, add bulgar, let it boil, and then take it off heat, covered, for 20 minutes)
--Meanwhile, chop and mix all other ingredients together (minus peppers unless you're going the route I'll take next time)
-- Once bulgar is done cooking, drain off any excess liquid (there should be very very little) and add to bowl. Mix in thoroughly and then "stuff" the pepper halves. You can also just core the peppers and stuff them standing up for an even prettier presentation.
-- Place in a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes, covered. Next time I think I'll nuke them first to soften them up before stuffing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment