Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Black Bean Burgers


I have been eying this recipe from Annie's Eats for a while now. As in, about 6 weeks. Since we started this heart healthy diet. And boy have we been missing out!

These things are so oh-my-black-bean-goodness good! Seriously. I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but when I was done with making the patties I went to grab a stray little bit that was left on my finger. And when I say that I "grabbed a stray bit" I really mean I licked the tip of my finger. And then, after I tasted what I had just put together, I proceeded to unabashedly lick all my other fingers. Oh yeah. All ten of them.

And then thoroughly wash my hands. Don't worry. My momma taught me well.

These were easy to put together, and I made them vegan. Because I love my husband and my husband does not like eggs. You remember when I said I was eventually going to try to make a flax seed egg? Well folks, eventually happened. And it worked! The burgers held together perfectly and they tasted finger-lickin' good!

Also, the original recipe calls for Panko. As I didn't have any at the house, and neither did the two markets I visited, I decided to do a little research and make my own. Want to know the secret? You can use regular old bread (crust free), put it in your food processor until fine, OR, you can finely crush up some saltines, OR you can used pulsed oats. Easy as that!

So now for the recipe.

Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6 patties

Active time: 10 minutes
Cook Time:  15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Sweet potato fries, a green salad, and a fruit salad for dessert!

What you'll need:

  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 large eggs OR 2 flaxseed eggs (2 TBLS flaxseed meal + 6 TBLS warm water whisked together and let sit for 5 minutes)
  • 3/4 cup quick cook oats OR old fashioned oats pulsed a little bit
  • 1 TBLS olive oil
  • 1 TBLS flaxseed meal
  • 1 TBLS dry cilantro OR basil OR 1/4 cup fresh, chopped
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 -1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on spice tolerance
options: 1 1/2 cups of one of the following

  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium sweet potato, with skins on, cooked until soft in the microwave and cut into little chunks - lightly mash
  • 1 can sweet corn OR 2 cups frozen, thawed

  • Potential toppings: red onion rings, tomatoes, avocados, lettuce, ketchup, mustard

What you'll do:

  • Take 2 1/2 cups black beans and mash them in a bowl until smooth.
  • Add all other ingredients (including whole beans) and stir until combined
  • Divide into 6, 1/2 cup portions and form into patties with your hands
  • Place them on a plate and cover with plastic in the fridge until you're ready to cook them up (they can be like this for up to a day).
  • When ready to cook:  pan fry with a little olive oil in a skillet - 4-5 minutes each side  OR bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes on each side.

No comments:

Post a Comment