Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chilled Cantaloupe-Peach Soup

The final product is very very smooth, not at all like the soup pictured here.

This is another winner from the Moosewood collection that I gathered from my mother's. Although, I do admit that it almost didn't make it on the blog. Only after some tweaking do I think it works.

There are, of course, reasons for it's only so-so-ness last night. I didn't puree it enough, so it was a little chunky. Well, not chunky, but somewhere in between chunky and smooth. Not good for people like me who are texture people. But, with the use of my handy dandy blender, the soup is now very smoothly uniform. The taste, too, was too "warm" for summer with the use of cinnamon, so I substituted ginger and that worked out very well! Next time I may experiment with mint. Mmm...

All in all, a great way to use extra peaches you have on hand, or just off set a fun main dish, like the Black Bean Burgers I made last night. Quick and easy - just remember that it needs to chill 3 hours prior to serving!

Chilled Cantaloupe-Peach Soup
Serves 6-8
  • 6 medium sized ripe peaches - peeled, cored, sliced
  • 1/4 c dry white wine
  • 6 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1 T honey
  • 1/2 t cinnamon and/or ginger (more or less to taste)
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1 medium sized (5-6'' diameter) ripe cantaloupe
  • 1 c fresh orange juice
  • Blueberries for garnish (if desired)
--Place peaches in a sauce pan with everything except the cantaloupe and OJ. Heat to a boil and them lower to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Let it cool to room temperature. (
--Puree the peach mixture with all it's liquid and place in a serving bowl.
--Chop, deseed, and peel the cantaloupe. Place chunks in your food processor or blender with the OJ and puree until smooth.
--Add to the peach mixture, making sure the soup is as smooth as you want it. Place in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving.
--Mollie Katzen says to garnish with blueberries, but of course I didn't notice this until I was almost done making it and I had already gone to the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment