Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fish Tacos


While here in Colorado I'm doing my best to eat healthy, but it's vacation and I'm vacationing with people who are not vegan, so we're all making a lot of compromises. They're being very good and letting me do some of the cooking, making sure there are big salads, and not being offended if I go for the chicken rather than the beef, or skipping meat altogether and just loading up on veggies. I, on the other hand, am eating dairy and meat without complaint. Like this meal. Dairy and meat in one meal! And it was great.

I have a confession to make before I keep going. I have never eaten Fish Tacos before. The idea of taco seasoning and fish and sour cream was just really repulsive to me. When my mom suggested this as a meal, I did not hesitate to tell her how I felt, and she looked at me dumbfounded. "You've obviously never had a fish taco before!" And since I hadn't, I didn't argue. Once she explained that there was no taco seasoning and that the fish were just in a corn tortilla, making them a taco, I wanted to try one.

And so here is what we came up with. It was too spicy for me, but then again I'm a spice wimp, so I'll cut the cayenne down about half next time. My mom also said that usually this is made with shredded cabbage and carrots instead of the lettuce and cucumbers, so while I really enjoyed this version, I may experiment next time. We used pre-fabbed fish sticks, but I think making your own fish sticks, or just baking some talapia with spices and lime and cutting it into chunks would work really well, too, and also cut down on the fat content.

We served this with a simple Quinoa salad and it was a wonderful light and summery meal. We will be making these again - they are fun and easy and very very tasty.

Fish Tacos
Serves 4-6
  • 4-6 talapia fillets or enough fish sticks to feed 4-6 people
  • Lettuce or cabbage
  • Cucumber sliced thin or shredded carrots
  • 1 very small red onion - sliced very thin
  • 1/2 c plain yogurt
  • 1/2 c mayo
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 t oregano
  • 1/2 t cumin
  • 1/2 t dill
  • 1 t cayenne powder (unless you're a fellow spice wimp like me and then do as much as you dare)
  • Corn tortillas - lightly fried if you want
-- Shred the lettuce and slice the cucumber ( or the cabbage and carrots if you're going that way) and onion and put them in a pretty serving bowl with tongs. :)
-- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayo, lime juice and spices. I suggest letting this sit for a little bit to let the flavors all meld together.
--Cook up the fish sticks or bake the fillets and then chunk them (11 minutes at 400 in tin foil with a little lime juice and some cumin would work really well.)
-- To assemble: put some "salad" or "slaw" mixture on a tortilla, top with fish, and then add a dollop of the sauce. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment