Long name, I know, but this is a recipe I've been wanting to make since we turned heart healthy. It looked so delicious, I just had to try it. Sauteed vegetables (and lots of them!) with creamy sweet potatoes, all layered with yummy sauce and topped with cashews! Oh yes!
I admit, I was a little leery of all the steps and ingredients, but it was actually quite simple. I even managed to chop while the previous items were sauteing, which was such a time saver! If you pop the potatoes in the microwave when you start, then that's another step you're not waiting for. I think for this recipe to be "worth it", you have to read it through al the way and recognize where you can make short cuts or save/double up on time. I tried to write it all out below to help.
I made this for my folks (and boys) and they all loved it! It was just as delicious as I imagined and so pretty! We served this with some flat bread and salad, there was NO room for dessert. At all.
This recipe, in it's original form, can be found here.
Rip's Raise the Roof Sweet Potato Vegetable Lasagna
Active time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Large house salad and garlic bread.
What you'll need:
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 6 cups cubed sweet potatoes, skins on
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
- 2 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 8 oz package white mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed OR 1 can sweetcorn, drained
- 16 oz (1 lb) bag frozen spinach, thawed OR 1 lb fresh spinach leaves, wilted
- 1 block regular tofu, drained
- 1 TBLS Italian spices
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 24oz jars traditional spaghetti sauce
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick (need 24 slices)
- 1 lb oven ready lasagna noodles (whole wheat if you can find it)
- 1 cup shredded cheese for top (optional)
What you'll do:
- Take a deep breath and realize that it looks like a lot but it's not going to be that hard.
- After you cut your sweet potatoes, put them in a microwave safe dish with a lid and microwave them for 8-10 minutes until they're all soft.
- Meanwhile, mince your garlic, chop your onion, mushrooms, squash, and zucchini.
- Heat skillet, add oil and wait until hot.
- Start to saute the garlic, onion, and mushrooms.
- Once the microwave is free, microwave the squash and zucchini for about 5 minutes.
- Once zucchini and squash are done, add to the skillet and saute with the others for another 10 minutes until everything is soft and about to fall apart.
- Meanwhile, mash your sweet potatoes in a bowl with the spinach until smooth.
- In a large bowl, break apart tofu. Add spices, corn, and sauteed veggies when ready. Stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In an 9x13 baking dish, pour 1/2 cup tomato sauce and spread around. Now you're ready to layer in this order: layer of lasagna noodles, 1 cup sauce, all of the tofu/veggie mixture (don't worry, it'll all fit!), 1 cup sauce, layer of noodles, 1 cup sauce, all mashed sweet potatoes spread evenly, 1 cup sauce, last layer of noodles, rest of sauce, Roma tomato slices, sprinkled cheese if desired.
- Cover with foil (spray with a little PAM and "tent" ) and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover for the last 10 minutes.
- Let sit 10 minutes before cutting/serving.