Once the food arrived and he took a bite, his eyes growing large, he insisted that I, too, take a bite to decide for myself.
And then I was truly disappointed that I didn't order the meal myself! Since then when ever we've gone back to that restaurant, one of us always gets the Spinach Pie with curry sauce, falafel, and bananas. I know, I know, an odd combination to say the least, but if you're feeling adventurous, you should try it!
I got so tired of getting the same meal over and over again and not trying new dishes (because as a cook, what's the point of going out but to get a meal you would never make at home or to see what fun combinations are out there?!) that I decided to figure out how to make the meal myself. And we both agree - what I came up with is pretty darn-tootin' close! It does take a little planning, but it's not overly labor intensive.
Curried Banana Spinach Pie
- 1 large bag loose leaf spinach - or 2 smaller ones
- 2 t all-spice
- 2 large bananas - sliced
- 11/2 c creamy curry sauce
- 8 good sized falafel balls (usually one recipe's worth) My falafels tasted good, but fell apart while cooking, so I need to research why that happened or try another recipe like the one I have linked!
- Slices of provolone cheese
- 1 pizza dough crust divided into 4 smaller balls
--Roll the dough balls out into 4 thin circles. Smear 1/4 c of curry sauce on each, then a pile of spinach, and then crumble the falafel. If should look like this (but with a little more spinach and falafel):
--Now layer the cheese, smear more sauce on top and use it as "glue" for the banana slices. (you don't HAVE to use bananas, we just feel it's better this way. You could also use some extra garbanzo beans to "beef" it up)
When you're all done - it should look something like this!