Friday, August 19, 2011

Honey Baked Lentils


This was a total risk meal.

I found the recipe in an old cookbook of my mothers and changed it up a bit.

There was no picture. There was no serving suggestions. There was no "this is a side dish" or "this is a main dish" denotations.

The worst thing that could happen is that it wasn't filling enough or didn't match what I had as sides for the meal.  Right?

Much to my surprise:  it was great.  A little out of the ordinary considering our usual all-in-one type dishes.  It seemed a little plain at first, but then I took a bite.  And then another. I didn't stop until my pile of lentils was gone.  Every. Last. One.

So it's a winner in my book.  It's nothing fancy, that's for sure.  Sometimes you'll have just a piece of meat on the plate with sides, right?  So this was my "plain piece of meat" replacement - and paired with a wonderful hearty bread, it is a complete protein and my body was happy.  So was the husband.

I had steamed broccoli and a salad to go with this, too.

Honey Baked Lentils
Serves 8
Active time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serving Suggestions: With a soup that doesn't have a huge protein component, like a sweet potato or carrot soup, accompanied with a green salad and some bread or potatoes. Or, treat it like you would a piece of chicken and just add sides and a roll to your plate.

What you'll need:

  • 2 cups dry lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 4 cups of water
  • 3 TBLS honey
  • 1 TBLS soy sauce OR tamari
  • 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
  • 3/4 tsp dry mustard

What you'll do:

  • Cook your lentils in water until soft.
  • In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients.
  • When the lentils are done,drain them from any excess water if needed, and transfer them to a serving bowl.  Pour the "sauce" over the lentils and stir gently with a spoon until all combined.



No comments:

Post a Comment