I love pasta with a good sauce. We already have a good bulked up pasta sauce, but I wanted something that was choked-full of veggies and something for protein.
So I figured a vegan version of a Bolognese Sauce would be a good start. The sauce is a little drier than a "typical" pasta sauce, but it is so good!
Lentil [Bolognese] Pasta Sauce
- 1 8 ox box mushrooms, chopped fine
- 1 onion, rough chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, or 2 tsp minced
- 1 cup rough chopped carrots
- 1 cup rough chopped leek, white part only
- 1/2 cup rough chopped celery
- 2 cups cooked lentils (1 cup dry + 2 cups water)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, with juice (can you regular diced as well)
- 2-4 TBLS tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta -- a short variety. OR -- polenta
-- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse onion, garlic, carrot, leek and celery until coarsely chopped
-- In a large pot, saute onion mixture with mushroom about 10 minutes. Until all is soft, but not yet browned
-- Add lentils, broth, herbs, wine, and milk. Cook 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-- Stir in tomatoes and paste. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking.
-- Season with salt and pepper and serve over cooked pasta or a bowl of polenta.