This was a "throw together" dish that actually turned out quite nicely. I got the idea from a Mollie Katzen recipe and just tweaked it to my liking. It was super easy and full of flavor -- just that way I like it! I sort of just kept adding things until it tasted just right!
This is a perfect meal for the summer because you don't have to use the stove at all it you don't want to. Gotta love keeping the heat index down inside your house, right? Or is that just little ole me with out any central AC talking? I put this in a bowl with a huge salad as a side, but you could easily put it in a pita over some greens with some Greek yogurt on top! Have fun with it!
Sweet Potato Hash
- 6 c peeled and cubed (1/2 inch) sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 c sweet corn
- 1 t garlic powder
- dash or two of red pepper (to taste)
- 1 T cumin
- 1 T cardamon
- 1/2 c Orange Juice (the better quality, the better tasting dish)
- Sliced scallions for the top
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (that's 3 cups water, 1 1/2 c dry quinoa cooked like rice on the stove or in a rice cooker)
-- Combine everything except the scallions and quinoa in a large microwave safe dish. It would be particularly good if this dish had a lid. If not, cover it and cook for about 10 minutes. Stir. Cook it again for another 10 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
-- Mix in the quinoa to the vegetables until evenly distributed. (You could also just have beds of quinoa on the plates and top it with the "hash")
-- Top with scallions and enjoy!