Sunday, September 11, 2011

Curried Chickpea Mash


This recipe is strait from (never)homemaker and I'm so glad I made it!  I didn't make my own naan like they did, though -- maybe next time, right?  Because let's be honest, once you taste this, you'll realize there will be a next time.

This was quick and very simple.  I know it looks like there are a lot of ingredients in this, but don't be scared away.  Most of them are either items you have in your pantry right now or spices in your rack. :)

I served this with a wanna-be vegan  quiche that was a total flop.  Totally and completely flopped.  As in, I had one bite and tried to force a second bite in and it just didn't work.  For whatever reason, Scot liked it.  Granted, he drenched it in salsa, but still I won't be re-doing that recipe.  This is one of those times I am so thankful we're loosely vegan and I can make and enjoy real quiche once in a while.

Oh, the only changes I made were using powdered cardamon instead of seeds and powdered onion and ginger to speed things up.  Oh, and the oregano....so maybe I tweaked more than I thought.  Sigh.  I do that a lot, don't I?  I guessed on the measurements for the cardamon but it worked.

Also - this could be a side or a main.  I think.  I used it as my main dish with a salad and I was fine.  But I had intended for it to be a side.   I think it could go either way.

Curried Chickpea Mash
Serves 4
  • 1 T onion powder
  • 1 can diced tomatoes - drained
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1/4 t ginger powder
  • 2 T OO
  • 2 can chick peas - rinsed and drained (3 cups worth)
  • 1 t ground cloves
  • 1/8 - 1/4 t cardamon powder (start small and then add, it's a strong spice)
  • 1/2 t turmeric
  • 1 t cumin
  • 2 t oregano
  • 2 t garam masala
  • 1 c almond milk
-- In food processor combine onion, tomato, garlic and ginger.  Puree.
-- In pot, heat OO over medium and add the ground cloves and cardamon.  Stir one minute.
-- Add tomato mixture to pot and stir/cook for 5 minutes.
-- Ad remaining spices, cook for a few minutes, then add the chickpeas and milk.
-- Simmer for about 10 minutes and then mash with a potato masher until desired consistency.  You want them mostly all mashed up, but not all all the way.

Eat with pitas, or naan, or lightly fried whole wheat tortillas! Or with just a spoon.

And don't forget the big salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment