first recipes on this blog. Two and half years ago. My how far we've come! Point and shoot camera to D-SLR. Couple little sentences to a paragraph or two. Lots of simple cheesy meals to much healthier and less cheesy ones.
I hope you've enjoyed the journey as much as I have!
I made this again last week and remembered how much we enjoyed it. I think it's been about a year since the last "make". I need to make it more often, especially considering how easy it is to throw together if you use the "tips". This is also one of Scot's favorite meals, so I really should make it more often. And the boys love it, too.
All that to say - if you haven't tried this soup out yet - do it! You won't regret it. It's thick and creamy. It's so incredibly flavorful you'll just have to go back for seconds. The flavors enhance with the leftovers, and the rice soaks up some of the liquid, so it's quite thick the next day unless you add some water to it. Personal preference. Scot leaves his, I add water to mine.
Serves 6 - 8 15 cups
Active Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
What you'll need:
- 2 TBLS olive oil(opt)
- 1 cup diced onion OR 1 TBLS powdered onion
- 1 TBLS minced garlic OR a rounded ¼ tsp powdered garlic
- 3 cups diced zucchini OR 3 cups frozen chopped green beans
- 3 cups cubed (1/2 inch) sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dry brown rice OR white rice (quick method)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chickpeas - rinsed and drained OR 2 cups cooked chunks of chicken
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 3 cups salsa
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp cumin
What you'll do:
- Cook rice in 2 cups of the vegetable broth.
- In a LARGE pot: saute onion, garlic and zucchini until all tender. 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, microwave the chunks of sweet potato for 6-8 minutes until soft. Once done, add to pot.
- Add broth, chickpeas, peanut butter, salsa and spices to the pot as well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add rice when it’s done and heat through.
Time Saving Tips:
Cook the rice ahead of time.Crockpot option: Combine everything raw and cook on low for 8 hours, high for 4, until sweet potatoes and zucchini are tender, and rice is cooked.