Monday, November 7, 2011

Pumpkin Muffins


It seems like Fall and pumpkin-themed dishes go hand-in-hand.   I'm seeing all sorts of yummy dishes all over with the orange pulp either hidden in the dish or front and center.  It's just that time of year when those of us who love pumpkin can fully revel and delight in the goodness without getting looked at funny.

Some of the recipes I'm dying to try:

(never home) maker's Pumpkin Chili
with
the edible perspective's Pumpkin Cornbread
and maybe for dessert to finish off a pumpkin themed dinner?
Oh She Glows' Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie

I'll let you know how they turn out. 

I hope the theme carries into Winter, because I'm not nearly as far along in my pumpkin experimentation as I'd like to be and Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away! Eeek!


This morning I was hankerin' for some pumpkin muffins, though.  Dense and chewy with some sweet raisins tucked inside.  I went off an old recipe and tweaked it quite a bit, but I really enjoyed the outcome.  They were just what I was looking for and the boys and I loved every crumb.  You could add chopped nuts, craisins, or even chocolate chips instead of the raisins.



Pumpkin Muffins
Makes 12 regular sized muffins

  • 3/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 eggs (I didn't try it, but I'm sure you can use flaxseed eggs for this)
  • 3/4 c canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 water
  • 1 1/2 c flour
  • 3/4 t baking powder
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t allspice
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/2 - 1 c raisins, craisins, or chocolate chips
-- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with PAM or other cooking spray
-- Mix sugar with apple sauce, eggs, and pumpkin.  Mixing until all creamy.  Add water.
-- In a smaller bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except "filler").  Once mixed...
-- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stor until all wet.
-- Add which ever filler you chose
-- Fill muffin tins 2/3rds of the way full and bake for 20 minutes until nice and brown and toothpick comes out clean

No comments:

Post a Comment