Hello everyone! I'm still on vacation, but my mom and I made this for dinner last night and it was so good I just had to share it with you! It takes a little longer than most of the recipes on here, but it's mostly simmering time, so it's not too bad. And you can do it all in the crock-pot of you want, so that's an added bonus if you have a busy day coming up and want a wonderfully filling and yummy meal awaiting you.
This is a tad on the spicy side for little ones. Or maybe just my bigger little one. The littlest guy didn't bat an eye at the spice (he has his daddy's taste buds apparently), but use your own judgement. It was just enough kick for me, the spice-wimp I am.
We served this over bulgar, but you could do any whole grain: couscous, brown rice, or quinoa, even!
- 2 T EVOO
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic - pressed
- 1 1/2 t turmeric
- 2 t cumin seed
- 2 t coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes - undrained
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (or one can, rinsed and drained)
- 4-6 cups sweet potatoes - peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 lb green beans - cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups zucchini, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 lb eggplant, skin left on, coarsely chopped
-- Add garlic and spices. Saute another 5 minutes.
-- Add can of tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
-- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour until the vegetable are soft. (Nuke them a little speed up the process if you need to)
-- Serve over cooked bulgar, couscous, rice, or quinoa.
CROCKPOT: Saute in pot, but then transfer to your crockpot and just dump everything in. Cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 5 or 6.