Monday, January 30, 2012

Roasted Butternut Squash Dinner


While visiting my parents, my mom and I got a little creative in the kitchen.  We found this recipe in a magazine, but weren't in the mood for soup.  So we tweaked the recipe and vegetables in their roasted form.  We served it over some buckwheat, with a large green salad and called it good.  Actually, we called it great.  When I make this for my little family, I will add some chickpeas and I will sprinkle some toasted coconut on top.

This is such a great way to eat butternut squash.  And I bet acorn squash would be just as good.  You could also use this as a unique vegetable side dish.

Anyway, here's what we did.

Roasted Butternut Squash Dinner
Serves 4-6
  • 1 medium butternut squash - 3-4 lbs.  Peeled and cut into bite sized chunks
  • 1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
  • 3 Macintosh apples.  Peeled and cored and chunked.
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (please tell me how this turns out if you try it!)
  • 3 T EVOO
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 t curry powder
  • 1 cup coconut, lightly toasted
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice, bulgar, quinoa, or any hearty whole grain
-- In a large bowl, combine the chunks of squash, onion, and apples with the oil.  Stir until well coated.
-- Spread evenly on coated (with parchment paper) jelly roll pans or large cookie sheets and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and curry powder.
-- Roast for 35-45 minutes at 425 until the vegetables are soft.  Stir in the middle and add in the chickpeas at this point (I discovered that roasting them the entire time made them crunchy, which I didn't like.)
-- Meanwhile, cook your grain so it's ready when you need it, and lightly toast your coconut in a large skillet.
-- When the roasting is finished, let cool for a few minutes before laying it on top the bed of whole grains.
-- Sprinkle the coconut on top and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment