This dish comes together quickly and is incredibly tasty. The sweetness of the coconut really gives this dish a twist that leaves us wanting more.
We used this as our meal with just a green salad on the side, but if I were serving this to guests, I would also have a vegetable based pureed soup to go with it, as well as a salad.
Oh, and it's called a stew, but it's really not. There's hardly any liquid to speak of, but maybe that's what constitutes a stew...??
Hearty Lentil Stew
Serves 4 main dishes (5 cups total)
Active time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Eat this with a simple green salad. If you want a larger dinner, or want to make this feed 6 people, serve with a pureed vegetable soup, like butternut, carrot, or sweet potato.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup dry lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups cleaned and cut (1/4 in cubes) red potatoes
- 1 cup packed chopped baby spinach
- 3/4 tsp coconut extract
- coconut flakes for garnish (opt)
- salt and pepper to taste
What you'll do:
- Cook your lentils.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, deep, skillet. Saute onion 7 minutes, until tender.
- Add the garlic and cumin. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for about 7-10 minutes until slightly tender.
- The lentils should be soft by now but still in some liquid. Carefully transfer the lentils (with the liquid) to the skillet. Stir, cover, and let simmer for 10 minutes, until the potatoes and lentils are fully done. Stir occasionally if needed.
- Add the coconut extract and spinach and stir for a couple minutes until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste