Monday, March 26, 2012

Sweet Potatoes, Oranges and Chickpeas


First of all, it was unseasonably warm last week, and I did all I could to not turn my oven on.  This is most definitely a perfect main dish for spring or summer.  It will be gracing our table a lot this summer, I can guarantee you that!  The oven is not required for this meal, which is great since we don't have central AC and I literally don't turn my oven on at all once the temperatures start to rise.

Second of all, this dish was amazingly quick to throw together.  Granted, I had left over rice and that helped things out, but even if I had to make the rice that day, I think I would have made it ahead of time to help out in the evening.

Also, I slightly tweaked the recipe from my Health Magazine.  Original recipe can be found here.

I served this with a simple green salad and we were all quite full with happy taste buds!  I love the lighter spring/summer eating!

Sweet Potatoes, Oranges, and Chickpeas
Serves 4
  • 3 cups cooked whole grain - brown rice, millet, or even quinoa
  • 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes - washed, unpeeled, and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds, cut again into half-moons  (peels stay on becasue that's where the most nutrition is!)
  • 4 Navel Oranges
  • 1 T rice vinegar
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • 2 t reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari
  • 3 scallions, sliced thin
  • 1 can Chickpeas - rinse and drain
-- Start off by making your grain.
-- Meanwhile, microwave the potatoes for about 8 minutes in a covered dish.  You want them soft, but not mushy.
--  While the potatoes are cooking, peel the oranges with a knife, getting all the white off.  Slice much like you did the sweet potatoes into half-moons.  Reserve 1/2 of one of the oranges for juicing.
-- Use the juice from the reserved orange half (it should produce about 3 T of juice), and combine it with the vinegar, oil, soy sauce and scallions. Set aside.
-- Once potatoes are done, transfer to a large serving bowl.  All the oranges and chickpeas.  Stir to combine, but make sure you don't mash the potatoes!
-- Add the dressing and stir.
-- To serve, top rice with Sweet Potato/Orange/Chickpea mix and enjoy.

NOTE:  Also great served chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment