Monday, March 19, 2012

Green Studded Sweet Potatoes



I saw this recipe today and I just had to try them!

Sweet potatoes (one of my favorite foods ever) + the addition of kale to get more greens in our diet and I was completely sold.

I didn't have kale in the fridge, but I did have turnip greens, so I used those instead.  I also totally added and tweaked the original recipe and it came out great.   They were super simple to throw together and incredibly flavorful.


This was a great little side dish to accompany our very simple dinner of tortellini (or turtle-ini as Evan calls them), salad, and hearty bread.  They looked like little boats, and instead of being lady like and using my fork and knife, I just let those little boats sail right into my waiting mouth.  YUM!  I will say that the little man (not quite 2) was not a huge fan -- everyone else, though, loved them.



Green Studded Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4
  • 2 large sweet potatoes or 4 small ones (I really liked the smaller ones)
  • 2 packed cups kale, collard, or turnip green (when i say packed, i mean packed!) - chopped
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 2 t dried cilantro
  • 1 t (or more to taste) lemon juice
-- Preheat oven to 350

-- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes.  Prick with fork a few times
-- In a covered microwave safe dish, nuke for 5-6 minutes.  Turn them over and cook for another 3-4 minutes until tender but not mushy.
-- Once cool enough to handle, slice length-wise and scoop out inside and place in a bowl.
-- Add all the other ingredients and stir until the greens are wilted. (I used a microwave safe bowl, covered, and nuked for 3 minutes to speed this process up)  Taste and adjust flavors to suit your pallet.

-- Once all combined, carefully spoon back into the reserved potato skins and place filled skins on a baking sheet or in a baking dish.
-- Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment