Monday, April 23, 2012

Chili for Spring

I don't know about you all, but I have a very real love-hate relationship with Springtime weather.  A few weeks ago, the 10-day forecast (and beyond) was all 70's.  I pulled out shorts and short sleeve shirts for the boys and myself, I put away some of our heavier clothes (I've lived in OH enough to know that warm weather in the Spring does not stay) and we just enjoyed being outside and the like.  It was great.  This past weekend, though, the temperatures were closer to freezing.  So I made a Springtime chili.

I like to start out the cooler months with a big chili dinner.  I also like to send the cooler weather off with the same.  Hopefully the weather got the hint. I just made my last batch of chili until after summer.  I think.

This chili was kind of a hodge-podge, but it turned out fabulously!  Scot liked it better than my others, and I think I did, too.  Who wants a just-bean chili when you can have great vegetables in there, too?

We ate this with cornbread the first go-around, and chips and salsa with the leftovers.




Chili for Spring
Serves 6-8
  • 2 cans kidney beans (one light, one dark, or both same) rinsed and drained
  • 3 cans diced tomatoes (I had 2 of them be Italian diced to add flavor.  You could also have one be with the little chiles in it if you like things spicy)
  • 2 cups frozen corn (or a can, drained)
  • 1 zucchini, 1 inch cubes
  • 1 large sweet potato, skins on, 1 inch cubes (nuke these if you want things to go faster)
  • 1 T onion powder -- or a medium sized onion, just saute it if you go that route
  •  1 packet chili seasoning
  • 2-3 cups vegetable broth, depending on the consistency you like
  • 1 T brown sugar
-- If you're using raw onion, go ahead and saute that in a little olive oil in a large pot or stock pot or dutch oven.
-- Combine all ingredients in the stock pot/dutch oven and heat to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, (or uncovered if it's too watery for you) for 30 minutes, or until vegetables are nice and soft.  Stir occasionally.
-- I went ahead and pureed a small portion of the chili with my hand blender to make it a little thicker, but you don't have to do that.
-- Top with cheese or sour cream if you want to.

You could also do this in the crockpot.

No comments:

Post a Comment