Monday, April 30, 2012

Gazpacho for the Spring





I found this recipe in my health magazine and just had to try it!  A gazpacho without green peppers?  Yes, please!  I'm so picky on when, where, and how I eat my green peppers.  And gazpacho is one place I'd rather not see them.  I don't know what it is.  Call me crazy if you like, but it's just a turn off for me.  So when I saw this recipe, I knew I would have to try it!

Summer cooking is a challenge for me.  Usually, I'm not in the mood to cook.  And since our house doesn't have central AC or an exit exhaust for the stove/oven, I try my absolute hardest to not turn the oven on once the temperatures start to rise.  So cold soups and hearty salads are my go-to dinners in the heat.  I think this one will be gracing our table quite a bit this summer.

I love the fresh flavors, the slight sweetness, and the creamy texture in this gazpacho opposed to the typically chunky and sometimes bitter usual kind.

I served this with a new quinoa dish.  One with shredded carrots and zucchini.  Keep on the lookout for that one! It's coming soon!



Gazpacho for the Spring
Makes a lot
  • 6 medium tomatoes or 10 romas - cubed
  • 1 medium cucumber, skinned and cubed
  • 2 yellow bell peppers.  Gutted, sliced, and cubed
  • 4 scallions, sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1/4 c white wine vinegar
  • 1 T Olive Oil
  • 1 T dry tarragon
  • sat and pepper to taste
-- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.   Let chill at least an hour, but it's best if you have the time to let it sit all day or even overnight.
-- Take out about 1/2 cup of the mixture and proceed to puree everything else in your food processor or with a hand blender.  You may add a little water to get it to the right consistency if you want.
-- Ladle into bowls and use a spoonful of the reserved chopped veggies as garnish!

No comments:

Post a Comment