Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Simple Basil Spaghetti

I got the idea for this recipe here, but I didn't like how much oil was in it, so, being me -- I tweaked it. And then I tweaked it again.  And then it was good for me.

This is not something I would serve to company due to its simplicity, but it's a step up from just pouring jarred sauce over pasta for the family.  It's also almost just as easy as pouring jarred sauce over the noodles.  I loved the lightness of this meal, the freshness of the ingredients, and the way my tummy felt full after I was done!  Granted, I had a slice of really hearty whole/multi-grain bread and a salad...and some cantaloupe, but still.  It was all great and I think this would even be great chilled!

It was so good, this is what my plate looked like at the end.  I sprinkled some salt on the leftover oil on the plate and dipped my bread in it -- YUM!



Simple Basil Spaghetti
Serves 4-6
  •  1 lb spaghetti (or a 13.25 oz box will do)  - whole grain/wheat is best in order to get some protein 
  • 1/4 cup EVOO
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 3 T chopped fresh basil
  • 3 scallions -  sliced thin
  • salt to taste
  • Parmesan for garnish if desired
-- Start by cooking your pasta according to directions
-- In a large skillet (enough to hold the spaghetti when done), heat the EVOO over medium heat, add the tomato paste and minced garlic and stir and saute for 5 minutes until all combined.
-- Add in fresh herbs and scallions and cook over low, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is done.
-- When pasta is done, drain and rinse, and add to pot of tomato paste.
-- Stir to combine.  Add salt and Parmesan to taste and as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment