Monday, April 9, 2012

Baked Salmon with Caramelized Onions


 For Easter, I wanted something special, but not a meat-meat (beef, foul, or pig).  So I settled on the super healthy Salmon option and then set about to finding how I wanted it cooked.  Pan-fried was out and baking was in.

I thought I had the perfect recipe.  And I did.  I just couldn't find the recipe card.  So I turned to my lovely mother who is visiting and she told me how she always makes her mouth-watering salmon and I was sold.

This was incredibly easy and it came out moist and perfect and full of flavor without overpowering the beautiful salmon's own flavor.  A favorite part for me, since I love caramelized onions so much, was the no-work caramelized onions this recipe produces. Score!

This is my plate for Easter: Salmon, harvest grain mix from TJ's, sweet potatoes, delicious asparagus (recipe to come!), fresh-from-the-oven French bread, and, of course, salad (not pictured, but I did eat it).

Baked Salmon with Caramelized Onions
serves 4-6 (1/2 lb Salmon per 1 adult)
  • 2-3 lbs Salmon
  • 1/4 c brown sugar
  • 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 1/4 c white wine
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (1 t)
  • 1 small onion, sliced thin
-- Mix brown sugar, soy sauce, wine, and garlic together.
-- Place onions in a baking dish that will just hold the salmon.
-- Place salmon, skin side UP, on the onions.
-- Pour the marinade over the salmon so it's all over and under the salmon.
-- Let sit at least 3 hours (refrigerated for at least 2) 
-- Pull salmon out of fridge 1 hour before transferring to the oven
-- When you're ready, dump the marinade out, but reserve the onions
-- Put salmon skin side DOWN to bake with the onions on top and around
-- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes (flesh should flake easily with a fork)

No comments:

Post a Comment