Monday, July 23, 2012

Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans

I love gnocchi. It's quick to cook and when you get the whole wheat variety, it's filling, too. I saw a version of this recipe on pinterest (thank you, pinterest!) and it looked so delicious and easy I just had to try it.  I omitted the cheese for our family meal, but you could very easily sprinkle mozzarella or Parmesan on top if you'd like.  Otherwise, I followed the directs almost to a T.

A huge ease of this meal is that it's all made in one skillet, so very little clean up is needed.  A plus, I think, if there are little feet around that need to be corralled either to to dinner or up to bed.




Scot ate this meal re-warmed and he loved it just as much as the rest of us did right out of the skillet.  And it's so pretty, too -- don't you think?  I served this with some bread (more carbs, I know, but I didn't care.  I needed something to sop up the juice!) and a green salad.


Skillet Gnocchi with Spinach and White Beans
Serves 4
  • EVOO
  • 16oz (1 lb) shelf stable whole wheat Gnocchi
  • 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6 cups packed spinach
  • 1 can Italian diced tomatoes
  • 1 can white beans (Canellini works really well), rinsed and drained
  • pinch of salt and pepper
-- Heat EVOO in a large skillet and add the gnocchi.  Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every minute or so, until the gnocchi is soft and "fluffy".  Remove to a bowl.
-- Saute onion for 3-5 minutes in the skillet with a little more EVOO
-- Add garlic and stir for a minute.  Add water, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes until onion is soft
-- Add spinach and cook a few minutes until wilted
-- Stir in the beans and tomatoes.  Bring to a simmer and and stir in the gnocchi.  Cook for 3-5 minutes until everything is heated through.
-- Sprinkle with a little mozzarella or Parmesan if you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment