One afternoon, I was over at a friend's house and she decided to use up some old squash and zucchini as a side dish for lunch.
"So Sarah, how does some sauteed squash and zucchini sound?"
"Umm...fine. I haven't had it in a while, let's see if I like it."
And boy did I love it! She had sauteed the summer vegetables with a large onion and seasoned it with just a little salt and pepper. It was fabulous and I started it making it that way for my family.
That is, until last week when I wanted something a little snazzier. A little different. And something that didn't require an onion since I was out. So I came up with this version and we all loved it. I may never go back to the simple onion version again! Unless, of course, I'm out of garlic.
Sauteed Squash and Zucchini
Active time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Enjoy alongside (or on) burgers, or beside a hearty grain salad that's in need of a few more veggies.
What you'll need:
- 2.5 - 3 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
- 2.5 - 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 2 tsp herbs de province
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
What you'll do:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and saute 3-5 minutes until very fragrant and almost starting to turn brown (but don't burn them!)
- Once garlic is sauteed, add squash and zucchini. Saute with garlic about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the herbs and lemon juice and saute another 5 minutes until vegetables are very soft and almost to the point of breaking apart.