Monday, August 20, 2012

Sauteed Squash and Zucchini

When I was a kid, squash and zucchini were 2 things I never ate.  Ever.  Even as an adult, I shied away from dishes sporting those green and yellow vegetables.  Oh my, how much I missed all those years.


One afternoon, I was over at a friend's house and she decided to use up some old squash and zucchini as a side dish for lunch.

"So Sarah, how does some sauteed squash and zucchini sound?"

"Umm...fine.  I haven't had it in a while, let's see if I like it."

And boy did I love it!  She had sauteed the summer vegetables with a large onion and seasoned it with just a little salt and pepper.  It was fabulous and I started it making it that way for my family.

That is, until last week when I wanted something a little snazzier.  A little different.  And something that didn't require an onion since I was out.  So I came up with this version and we all loved it.  I may never go back to the simple onion version again!  Unless, of course, I'm out of garlic.


 Sauteed Squash and Zucchini

Serves 6
Active time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Serving Suggestions:  Enjoy alongside (or on) burgers, or beside a hearty grain salad that's in need of a few more veggies.

What you'll need:

  • 2.5 - 3 cups thinly sliced yellow squash
  • 2.5 - 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
  • 1 TBLS olive oil
  • 1 TBLS minced garlic
  • 2 tsp herbs de province
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

What you'll do:

  • Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Once hot, add garlic and saute 3-5 minutes until very fragrant and almost starting to turn brown (but don't burn them!)
  • Once garlic is sauteed, add squash and zucchini.  Saute with garlic about 10 minutes until soft.
  • Add the herbs and lemon juice and saute another 5 minutes until vegetables are very soft and almost to the point of breaking apart.


No comments:

Post a Comment