Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spinach and Black Bean Burgers

 

We like burgers in this house.  And never have I made so many burgers than since we switched to eating a more heart-healthy, plant-based diet.  I hated squishing raw meat for burgers before hand.  Hated it.  So I just didn't.  Instead, I would enjoy a big fat juicy burger at cookouts where someone else had done the squishing for me.

Now that we eat meat-less burgers, I made them all the time. I've realized I never was truly in love with the burger itself, I was always more interested in the toppings. And now -- I'm in love with both.  Plain back bean burgers, quinoa and black bean ones, and now, spinach and black beans!  Still just as simple to pull together, these burgers have the added benefit of having that wonderful dark green veggies "sneaked" in there.

I say "sneaked" because, as you can see, the burgers are quite green.  But they're oh. so. good.  Scot even said they're his new favorite.  Who knew?!


Got the recipe over here, and tweaked it just a bit.  Enjoy!

Spinach and Black Bean Burgers
Makes 6
  • 1 can black beans - rinse and drained
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chop
  • 1/2 cooking onion, chop
  • 1 T soy sauce 
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats 
  • 1/2 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice
  • 1/3 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 c flax meal
-- Puree beans, bell pepper, onion, soy sauce, and spinach in a blender or food processor.
-- In a bowl, mix together the oats, quinoa, flour, and flax meal.  Add the very green wet mixture and stir stir stir!  If needed, add more flax meal or whole wheat flour, tablespoon by tablespoon, until it's the "right" consistency.  Which is a consistency that is sticky enough to adhere to itself, but not so sticky it adheres to your hands.
-- Form into 6 patties (about 3/4 cup of mixture each), and chill until ready to pan-fry.
-- With a little oil in the pan, pan fry each side 3-5 minutes.  Just like a pancake. :D

-- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment