Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pasta Dinner with Tomatoes and Zucchini



 
A few weeks ago I went to a Pampered Chef party.  As always, I had a blast at the show.  It's a great time for chatting and looking at fun cooking/baking products, and this time, there was even a show-case meal that was made and enjoyed right there!

Even though I didn't have the covered stoneware dish that was used to make this meal, I still wanted to adapt it to my taste and try it at home.

This is so easy and incredibly versatile, too.  I used a squash and a zucchini in it, but I could have used all of one or the other.  I think next time I may toss in a can or two of rinsed/drained white beans for an extra protein component.

The best part?  Everyone loves a pasta dish, and my boys are no exception!


Pasta Dinner with Tomatoes and Zucchini
Feeds 6
  • 1/4 c white wine
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 3-4 c cherry tomatoes
  • 4 c vegetable broth
  • 1 box whole grain short pasta (rotini, penne, ziti, shells, bowtie...)
  • 1 T dry basil OR 1/4 c fresh, chopped
  • 2 medium squash or zucchini, sliced thin
  • salt and pepper to taste (if you use a regular broth, you may not need any extra salt, so taste first!)
  • 1 or 2 cans white beans of choice, rinsed and drained (optional if you want more protein in the dish)
-- In a large pot, or dutch oven, combine the wine, garlic and tomatoes.  Cover and heat over medium-high for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The tomatoes may start to pop and that's just perfect.
--Meanwhile, slice those squash/zucchini and saute them in a skillet until they're soft.
-- Jump back to the tomatoes when needed, and with a long handled spoon, mash the tomatoes a bit.
-- Add the broth to the tomatoes, let boil, and then add the pasta. Let cook 10 minutes, until the pasta is done and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
-- Add in sauteed squash and/or zucchini
-- Add beans in, too, if using.

-- Can serve with grated Parmesan on top.  YUM!
-- Add basil and veggies and stir to combine


On a personal note:  I'm leaving for about 10 days on vacation, but I have some recipes scheduled to post while I'm gone, so make sure to pop back and check out the blog even if you don't see anything on pinterest or facebook!  

No comments:

Post a Comment