Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Spinach Quinoa Bake

You remember this soup?


 
You know how I said I served it with a spinach quinoa bake?

Well, now I'm here with the recipe.  Sorry I made you wait.
 


This is my new replacement for quiche.  I've missed quiche - let me tell ya!  So I'm excited I found this recipe and I was able to health-ify it and tweak it to fit us.  It's soft and creamy on the inside and while it's not extremely robust with flavor, it's easily tweak-able, and can fit whatever you wish.  I'm pretty excited to experiment with different ingredients to go in it other than just spinach.  Like maybe Italian diced tomatoes...or mushrooms...or both!



Spinach Quinoa Bake
Serves 6
  • OO and PAM
  • 1 lb spinach leaves - either frozen or raw (if using raw, then just wilt them)
  • 2 t minced garlic
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 t dry thyme
  • 1/4 t dry rosemary
  • 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 c uncooked quinoa + 2 c vegetable broth
  • 1/2 c rolled oats
  • 1 c almond milk
  • 3 egg whites
-- Cook quinoa (this step is best left to do ahead of time to speed everything else up!)
-- Saute onion and garlic in a skillet with a little olive oil, 5-8 minutes.  Add spices mid-way through and let get fragrant!
-- Mix spinach, sauteed onion/garlic, quinoa, oats, milk and egg whites.  Mix evenly and pour into a greased 8x8 baking dish.
--Bake at 350 for about an hour - until the edges start to turn brown and the dish passes the toothpick test.



No comments:

Post a Comment