Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lemony Chickpea Skillet Meal

This meal got mixed reviews in our house, but I still thought I'd post it. Scot loved it and with a change, I will love it, too.


 All in all, this is was quite easy.  It was filling and nutritious and the boys ate it up.  So of course, I loved it for those reasons.  But it also tasted great (when I didn't have it with a bite of tofu).

And there lies the issue.

Tofu.

Let me tell you first, I like tofu.  When you saute it right, which I did this time just like all the other times, or when it's pureed and disguised in with other things, I do really like it.  But I didn't like it with this dish.  Scot loved it in this dish.  He thought it complimented the zucchini and lemon flavors well.  I didn't agree, I thought the flavors clashed at best, or that the tofu was overpowering at worst.

So, if you like tofu, make this as it's written.  If you only sometimes like tofu, make some quinoa and serve this skillet meal over a pile of that amazing whole grain.

Got the recipe over here, doubled it, and tweaked it just a tad. 


Lemony Chickpea Skillet Meal
serves 4-6
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1 sweet/red onion, diced
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinse and drain
  • 2 medium zucchini, cubed (6 cups)
  • 4 loose cups kale, chopped
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 1, 16oz box, extra firm tofu OR 2-3 cups cooked quinoa
-- If you're using the tofu, go ahead and cube it and pan fry it a little whichever way you like best.  Set aside. (I did a sweeter version with a little brown sugar to caramelize the outside, but if I do this with tofu again, I may do more of a soy sauce base)
-- In a large skillet, saute the onion and chickepeas 5-7 minutes until onions are soft and chickpeas are warmed through and the edges start to get a little crispy.  Set aside.
-- In the same large skillet, saute the zucchini with a little pepper and salt (if desired).  Saute until the zucchini is nice and soft, but not yet falling apart.
-- Add the chopped kale on in and saute it until it wilts. 3-5 minutes.
-- Add in chickpeas/onion, (tofu if using) and lemon zest/juice and warm through.
-- Serve over quinoa (if not using the tofu)

No comments:

Post a Comment