Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Spiced Hummus

Today marks the beginning of "Pumpkin Week" here on Hearty Helpings.  A week of all things pumpkin.  I thought it fitting since I had half a dozen pumpkin recipes and we're right smack in the middle of fall.  And yet, I didn't want to bore you all and have the next 5 or 6 recipes be all pumpkin themed without you knowing it.




So if you hate pumpkin flavored dishes or treats, turn your eyes away for this week.  (But then come back, ya'll, ya hear?)

On the docket to be tried this week (and hopefully posted):
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice (because it's a basic ingredient this time of year and you can make it at home!)
  • Pumpkin Spiced Hummus
  • Harvest Pumpkin Rice (a side dish OR an easily transformed main dish!)
  • Banana Pumpkin Smoothie
  • Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
  • Pumpkin Granola Bars
Aren't you excited?
 
So to get us stared.  Pumpkin Pie Spice mix.  It's so easy, I don't really know why people spend 3 and 4 dollars at the store when they most likely have everything in their cupboards already!

Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 3 T ground cinnamon
  • 2 t ground ginger
  • 2 t nutmeg
  • 1 ½ t ground allspice
  • 1 ½ t ground cloves  
-- Mix it all together and there you have it.  Your very own, inexpensive, fabulous Pumpkin Pie spice!

And now that you have that, we can make the Pumpkin Spiced Hummus (which I got over here)



 This was a great alternative to my regular hummus.  It was fall-ish without being overly pumpkin-y.  We ate it with pretzels as a snack, and with graham crackers as a dessert (because it made the hummus transform into a dessert, mimicking a pumpkin pie!)

Pumpkin Spiced Hummus
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained, or any white beans
  • 1 cup solid 100% pumpkin puree (canned)
  • 1/4 c tahini (can omit and replace with more pumpkin!)
  • 3 TBLS maple syrup or brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2-3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • Olive oil if needed to thin out.  up to 1 TBLS

1 comment:

  1. Um, loved it!! Thanks for the recipe!! I am going to call it pumpkin dip when I serve it so I don't get weird looks. I know if someone served this to me and said it was sweetened hummus, I would look at them sideways. :)

    ReplyDelete