I got the idea for the recipe here, but tweaked it a little. I served this as a side dish, but I added a can of chickpeas to the leftovers for a hearty lunch option for Scot. And I omitted the nuts. For one, I'm highly allergic to walnuts, and two, they just add extra expense and fat calories to a dish.
This was incredibly easy to throw together. Once the rice was done, it took about 5 minutes total. TOTAL.
Scot thought there were a few too many onions, but I didn't. So just be aware in case you have anti-onion-eaters at your table.
Serves 6 sides, 4 main (with chickpeas)
- 1 3/4 c cooked brown rice
- 1 cup 100% pure solid pumpkin puree (canned)
- 1 1/2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1-3 T brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1/4 t pepper
- 1 small apple, skins on, chopped small
- 1 small (or less) red onion, minced
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (optional for main dish)
-- Add in the rice and stir to coat well.
-- Fold in the onion, apple, and raisins.