Tuesday, January 29, 2013

White Bean and Kale Soup

White beans and kale.  Together in one soup?  Oh, yes please.  This is my favorite type of dinner.  A great hearty soup and some delicious bread to go with it to sop up any drops that dare remain -- oh yes.  My kind of feasting.


It reminded me a lot of this soup.  The one with pesto is a little bit easier to make and we liked the flavor just a tad bit more, so I think I'll be sticking with that one.  But on the occasion I don't have pesto laying around, or garbanzo beans, this will be my runner-up recipe.  It was full of flavor and was perfect for the cold nights we've been having recently.  It also freezes really well for those nights when I don't feel like cooking.

White Bean and Kale Soup

  • olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped cooking potatoes (1/2 inch is best -- don't mind my picture)
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 t rosemary
  • 1 t oregano
  • 1 T red wine vinegar
  • 2 cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups chopped kale, or 1 cup frozen (Trader Joes!)
-- Heat oil in large pot and saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic.  
-- Add the broth, tomatoes, spices, and potatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and cover.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
-- Add the vinegar, beans and kale and heat through (and let the kale wilt if you're using fresh)

No comments:

Post a Comment