Saturday, February 2, 2013

Maple Baked Lentils and Sweet Potatoes

Oh goodness.  This is my new comfort food.  Angela wasn't kidding when she said it was amazing.  I used to make a dish with meat that was similar to this idea.  Sweet potatoes, apples, and maple flavored sausage.  It was one of Scot's favorite meals, but one we haven't eaten in years, so I was tickled beyond pink when I saw this recipe.  The best thing?  I had everything in my pantry -- chances are, you do, too.

I omitted the garlic in the original recipe, and next time I will up the sweet potatoes to 4 cups, and make sure I have only 4 cups of lentils.  I was a little heavy handed with my dried lentils (who really measures those anyway?) and I think it would have been better if I had been a bit more accurate.  The taste was just enough maple without being too sweet, and the lentil/sweet potato mixture was almost "rustic".

We also decided that while the mixture tasted good on the big fat piece of toasted multi-grain bread, next time we're going to stick to simple whole wheat/grain toast.  It's fabulous plain, so you really just need something to help you scoop it up or push it onto your fork.



Way to go, Angela, on another great recipe!

Maple Baked Lentils and Sweet Potatoes
serves 6

  • 4 cups cooked lentils (scant 2 cups dry lentils + 4 cups water)
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 large sweet apple, peeled and chopped.  About 1 1/2 cups
  • 4-6 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 3 T maple syrup
  • 2 T molasses
  • 2 T apple cider vinegar
  • 2 t mustard
  • 1/2 t salt
  • whole wheat bread or toast
-- Cook lentils -- they should take about 30 minutes, so 15 minutes in, turn the oven on and start your chopping.
-- Combine everything, including cooked lentils, in a 9x13 baking dish, cover, and bake for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft, but not until the mixture is too dry.  cover it again if it starts to look a little dry!
-- Serve alone, with hearty toast next to it, or over toasted multi-grain bread or rolls and eat like an open-faced sloppy joe!

For the crockpot: Combine everything in the crocokpot and cook on high for 4-5 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment