Monday, February 25, 2013

Sweet and Spicy Black Beans

A few weeks ago, Scot and I were talking about foods we miss from our non-plant-based-food days.  There weren't many, really.  Like I've mentioned before, homemade mac n cheese tops my list.  And a deluxe grilled cheese.  Oh, cheese...how I loved you.

Then we started talking meats.  And really, we don't miss that at all.  Unless you count salmon.  And I'll admit, when we go out, that's what I order.  So I can't quite say I miss it all that much.  But chicken.  Scot said he didn't miss a single dish.  I, on the other hand, miss a few.  One of them not only for the taste, but also for the ease of it.  It was a simple crockpot dish, and when I got to talking about it, Scot challenged me to recreate it.

So I did.  It wasn't hard at all, and it's a wonder I didn't do it earlier with how easy it is!  And it's still just as delicious.  This is a great weeknight meal, or just, "i have nothing to make but we need to eat!" type meal.

I served mine with only a little sliced avocado (it's all I had around), but next time, I'll have some shredded lettuce or something else green to bolster it just a little more.



Sweet and Spicy Black Beans
serves 4

  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice (petite diced would be the best)
  • 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
  • 3-4 cups cooked brown rice
  • salt and pepper to taste
-- In a serving bowl, combine the beans, tomatoes, sugar, and red pepper flakes.  Stir until sugar is dissolved.  Either put it in the fridge until you're ready to serve it (probably the best option since you want the flavors to mingle) or heat it up right there.
-- Serve over a bed of rice with whatever toppings you want: shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, avocado, chips.  (this would make a really great dip!)

1 comment:

  1. Ah! This will be my lunch!! I just made some black beans yesterday and have leftover brown rice in the fridge. I was wondering what I would be eating for lunch today, (I have a busy morning and will not be at home) and now I know. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete