Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chili Glazed Tofu & Ramen Soup


While I was on vacation, my mother let me play in her beautiful kitchen.  For me, there's nothing like some time, a fabulous kitchen, and a new recipe.  It was delightful to hear the boys have fun with my parents while I was having fun on my own.

This soup looked intriguing to me.  As a child, my mom would make us egg drop soup with ramen noodles as the base and there was always something about it I loved.  I haven't had a pack of ramen in my kitchen since college, so this was a little different for us.  The flavors were really nice and the tofu made the dish.  Next time I think I'll broil the tofu.  I don't know when I'll learn that broiling tofu is so much easier, faster, and  healthier than pan-frying it!

This would have been great with an Asian themed green, or even quinoa, salad.

Chili Glazed Tofu & Ramen Soup
serves 4-6

  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 3/4 t powdered ginger
  • 4 T soy sauce, divided
  • 1 T Asian sweet chili sauce (Trader Joes has a great one!)
  • 1 16 oz pack extra firm tofu (drained, patted dry, and cut into 10-12 "slabs")
  • 2 packs ramen noodles,, or 12 oz fresh Asian noodles
  • 2 large carrots, skinned to the core (1 packed cup of the "shavings")
  • 2 cups packed chopped spinach
  • 1 c chopped scallions
-- Combine broth, 2 cups water, garlic, ginger, and 3 T soy sauce in a medium sauce pan.  Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes.
-- Mix the remaining 1 T soy sauce with chili sauce and set aside.
-- Broil tofu slabs 3-4 minutes each side until they are nice and crispy on the outside.  Coat with chili/soy sauce.
-- Add the noodles, carrots, and scallions to the pot and simmer for about 5 minutes.  
-- Add the spinach and stir until wilted (3-4 minutes)
-- Top each bowl with 2 slabs of tofu and extra sauce if desired.

1 comment:

  1. Ramen is my go-to when Chris and I go for sushi (his favorite-not mine). There is something very comforting and filling about it. I rarely make it at home so thanks for the recipe! I will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete