Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lentil & Tofu Tacos -- or sauce


This was another meal from our time away at my parent's house (and I have since made it again as a pasta sauce -- pictured).  It was a quick and easy weeknight dinner we all enjoyed.  The recipe I used was on a yellowed 3x5 index card, which is interesting since I don't remember growing up with the dish.  I almost wish we had, though!

I was a little leery of having tacos with both lentils and tofu, but amazingly, it worked.  Not too overpowering of either.  They complimented each other very nicely.  I still think I like our other lentil tacos better, but this is a little bit quicker, so it'll still end up on our table!

Top these tacos with what ever you wish: avocados, greens, cheese, salsa, green peppers, green onions, etc.

As a note, we used the leftovers to top some pasta for a quick lunch and it was so good, I have started using this as a sauce when, sometimes even adding taco toppings if I have them on hand.

Lentil & Tofu Tacos
serves 4-6
  • 1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed well + 1 cup water
  • 3/4 c chopped onion
  • 2 c tomato sauce 
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 16 oz block firm tofu, drained, pressed, and crumbled
  • Tortillas
  • toppings of choice
-- Cook the lentils in the water like you would rice.
-- Once lentils are almost all done, saute onions in a medium saucepan or deep skillet.  Add the tomato sauce, lentils, and seasoning.  Simmer 10 minutes.
-- Add tofu and mix well.
-- Spoon into tortillas and top away! (Or spoon over a bed of pasta)

-- To make a REALLY quick weeknight meal, have your lentils already made.


No comments:

Post a Comment