Friday, April 19, 2013

Pineapple Black Bean Burrito Filling


I think one of the hardest challenges of eating plant-based is finding main dishes.  That aren't soup, that is.  After 2 years of cooking this way, a "dinner" to me is still a main protein with a starch and a vegetable as a side.  Yes, I'm getting a lot better at adapting, but especially in the cooler months when soup is such a comfort, it's trying at times to find new dishes for us that aren't soup.

For me, soups are just the easiest all-in-all meal to throw together.  I have everything I need in one pot. Add a salad and some bread and there's a full and delicious meal on the table.  I'm sure, if left to myself, I would eat soup every single night.  Thankfully, I have my boys who keep me well-balanced.

When I saw this recipe, I was naturally drawn to it.  It was soup. What's not to like?  In reading the description on the blog, though, I realized I could make this into a burrito filling by just omitting the broth.  Since I'm constantly on the hunt for good and filling main dishes that aren't soup and don't call for meat-look-a-likes or have weird/expensive ingredients, I considered this a find.

We ate this as a burrito filling, but beware, if you don't simmer the mixture until almost all the liquid is gone, you will end up with messy plates.  I realized it would be very easy to serve this over some brown rice.  In that scenario, you wouldn't have to make sure the liquid was simmered off -- in fact, it would be a quicker dinner because you'd really just have to make sure the vegetables were soft enough and the extra liquid would actually be welcome with the rice.

In case you're curious, the pineapple flavor was very subtle.  There was a sweetness to the dish, but I had to tell my husband what he could attribute it to.  All in all, a dish we'll be seeing again, but probably over rice.

No matter how you choose to consume this delicious chili adaptation, just enjoy.  (If you want to enjoy this as a chili or soup, just add broth to desired consistency)



Pineapple Black Bean Burrito Filling
serves 4-6

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped (I used a green one, but a red one would have been really pretty)
  • 1 lb zucchini or yellow squash, diced
  • 4 t minced garlic
  • 2 t mild chili powder
  • 2 t oregano
  • 1 t cumin
  • hot sauce if you want it for a kick (opt)
  • 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 cup crushed pineapple, with juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • whole wheat tortillas OR 3 cups brown rice
-- In a large skillet, heat some oil and saute the onion, pepper, zucchini/squash, and garlic 10 minutes until the zucchini/squash has started to soften and the onions are translucent.
-- Add the spices and saute for 2-3 minutes
-- Add the beans, tomatoes, and pineapple and simmer 10 minutes (for burrito filling) until the liquid has all simmered off, or just heat through (if using rice).  
-- Season with salt and pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment