Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies [vegan]

A couple weeks ago it was cold.  It was more than just cold, really.  The snow was falling heavily, and if it had been December I'm sure I would have been overjoyed.  Seeing as it's not December, I needed a little something in the afternoon to make the day seem a little more fun than the gray skies looked.


Growing up, I loved afternoons when my mom would have fresh cookies and tea out for my brother and me after school.  While my boys aren't school-aged yet, they do take naps still.  On this particular day I had cookies, hot out of the oven, waiting for them when they woke up.  Is there anything better on a snowy day?

These totally vegan cookies were amazing.  Slightly crispy on the outside and still soft and chewy on the inside.  If I had used chocolate chips, I don't think there would have been as many for the boys.  I will say, though, the next time I make these with raisins, I'll use almond butter for the more muted flavor, but if I use chocolate chips, I'm sticking with peanut butter.  The batter was so good, too!  And since the boys were napping when I made these, I didn't have to share the spoon or the bowl!


Oatmeal Cookies
makes 1 1/2 doz

  • 1/3 cup smooth peanut or almond butter
  • 2 T canola oil
  • 1/3 cup almond or soy milk
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 t baking soda
  • 1/2-3/4 cup raisins, craisins, or chocolate chips
-- Cream together the nut butter, oil, milk, sugars, and vanilla until very smooth
-- In a smaller bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Slowly stir into bowl with wet ingredients.
-- Stir in raisins or chocolate chips.
-- Drop in spoonfuls onto non-stick mat (silpat) or parchment paper lined cookie sheet
-- Bake for 10 minutes at 400 (until lightly brown)

note: you may want to very slightly flatten. they do spread out a little, but not a whole lot.  to avoid a totally gooey middle, flatten just slightly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment