This is our new favorite quinoa salad. Don't get me wrong, I love quinoa in other salads -- and in soups -- but this is hands-down one of the best tasting, freshest quinoa salads I've ever had, and definitely the favorite that has come from my kitchen.
And what better way to kick off summer? (Even though it doesn't officially start for another 3 weeks!) This was easy to make. It may not look it, but once the quinoa is cooked and cooled, it took about 15 minutes to put it all together.
This will be a summer favorite for sure -- I hope it's one of yours, too.
Original recipe is here.
Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
Serves 6 (more if using as a side dish)
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well for a couple minutes, cooked with 2 cups water
- 1/4 c peanut butter
- 3 TBLS soy sauce or tamari
- 1-2 TBLS lime juice
- 1 TBLS honey or agave
- 1 TBLS red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 cups shelled edamame or 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups chopped/sliced carrots (can do this in the food processor to speed things up!)
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup cashew halves or peanuts
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
-- Cook the quinoa. For an easy dinner, make sure this step is done earlier in the day! When done, turn the quinoa out into a large bowl, fluff with a fork, and let cool.
-- Whisk the dressing ingredients together (peanut butter through ginger), warming in the microwave if necessary to allow ingredients to combine smoothly. Pour onto the quinoa and mix in well.
-- Chop and shred the appropriate ingredients and add to the bowl when done. Mix everything together and serve, OR, save back the green onions and cashews and use them as garnish!
-- Serve at room temperature or chilled!