Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Red Lentil Dal

Have I ever mentioned how much we enjoy Indian food in our house?  It may come as a surprise to those of you who follow this blog and know what I spice-wimp I am, but the beauty about cooking Indian food in your own kitchen is the control over those spices.  While I may have a hard time ordering something at an Indian restaurant, I have no problem whipping up simple dishes like this Red Lentil Dal.

Let me assure you that if it were lady-like to mmmmm through an entire dinner (and not just the first few bites) I would have.  I could have eaten another bowl of this creamy Indian goodness just to satisfy my taste-buds.   Even the little dudes told me they liked the meal "this-much"! (Envision arms spread super-wide)  It was incredibly easy to make.  I would like to try it in the rice cooker, but I just don't think it would work out.  So while you do have to monitor the stove for this one, it's well worth the little time it takes.

I served this over brown rice, but you could eat it with some naan, too.  Have a nice green veggie on the side with a salad and you're good to go.  This also keeps and freezes beautifully, with the rice mixed in or not.  Note: I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to chop some kale and put it on the rice before putting the dal on top to wilt it -- I think it'll be great!

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, and if you don't know what to make for dinner tonight, make this!  You probably have most everything in your pantry right now!

Slightly adapted from this recipe.

Red Lentil Dal
makes 5 cups of the Dal and with the rice yields 4 very filling main dishes
  • 1 small red onion, chopped
  • 1 TBLS minced garlic
  • 3.5 cups vegetable broth 
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 1 1/4 cup red lentils
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 TBLS dry basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3-4 cups cooked brown rice (takes as long to cook as the meal does to come together)
-- In a medium sauce pan, heat a little oil and saute the onion 8-10 minutes until soft and translucent.  
-- Add the garlic and saute 1 minute
-- Add broth, tomatoes, lentils, and spices.
-- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  Stir occasionally to prevent from burning, and take off heat once mixture is nice and thick
-- Season with salt and pepper if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment