Thursday, June 13, 2013

Crock-pot Indian Spiced Lentils

What is it about easy meals that make them taste all the better?  I don't know, but this one is wonderful.  At least, I thought so. I will say the dear husband didn't love it.  He liked it.  Said it was ok -- but he said he thought the flavor combination was different.  I told him that was what Indian food tasted like.  Since he didn't veto it completely, it's now on a recipe card in my box.

So.  If you like Indian flavors, try this.  It's incredibly easy to put together and your house will smell so good while it's cooking.  I got the recipe from a friend who made it for a small dinner party and got rave reviews for it.  When I looked the recipe up on line, the reviews were dripping with equal food-love-gushing.

It may be odd that I'm posting a crock-pot recipe in the middle of summer, but I do more crock-pot recipes in the summer for 2 reasons.  1) It doesn't heat up my kitchen and 2) I'm out a lot more in the summer months running around with the boys, but I still want to eat good and healthy dinners.  Crock-pot dinners are the way to go!  This meal is especially nice since you can make the rice lentils way ahead of time...which I do.  Serve over 3-4 cups cooked rice


Slightly tweaked from this recipe.

Crock-pot Indian Spiced Lentils
serves 6-8
  • 2 cups dry lentils
  • 4 cups diced sweet potatoes, 1 lb
  • 1 large yellow or orange bell pepper, finely diced
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 1 TBLS minced garlic
  • 2 TBLS tomato paste
  • 2 TBLS lemon juice
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3-4 cups brown rice
  • opt: 8-10 oz frozen chopped spinach
-- Dump it all in the crockpot, cook on high for 4-6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment