Monday, June 17, 2013

Super "C" Salad

The weekend is almost here and what better way to celebrate than with a fabulous fun salad with a lot of "C"'s in it!


I had a salad very similar to this back in Ohio at one of the local market's "Salad Bar".  It was set up like Whole Foods and I was with a friend and we had fun pursuing the "super salads", seeing which ingredient pairings we liked best.  There was a salad that caught my eye, but it had walnuts in it, and since I prefer breathing to gasping for breath, I passed and picked the salad with couscous and cauliflower.  I didn't notice much else initially.  It looked interesting, was a combination I'd never had, and wow was I surprised.  I couldn't get enough.  With each bite I was finding more and more depth to this "salad".  It was a super-salad, indeed!

So this is my recreation as best as I can get.  The original had whole chunks of fennel in it, and I had no idea what their recipe for the dressing was, but this is pretty close to an exact replication as far as I can remember.  Even if it's not, my taste-buds are happy when I make it.


As the name I've given it indicates, most all the main ingredients have a common denominator.  Couscous.  Chickpeas.  Cauliflower.  Celery. California golden raisins. Clementines. Except for the red onion and the dressing, everything starts with the letter C!

Serve this as a main dish with a side green salad, or serve it as a side salad.  Or, bring it to the picnic you're planning for the weekend.  It's good chilled or at room temperature.

Super "C" Salad  
serves 4 (2 cup portions) main dishes, or 6-8 sides

  • 2 cups cooked Israeli couscous (I used whole wheat)
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups small/chopped cauliflower florets
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup packed CA golden raisins
  • 3 clementines/cuties (or 1 small orange), segmented and cut into chunks
  • 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 TBLS olive oil
  • 1 tsp crushed garlic
  • 3/4 tsp curry
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 3/4 tsp tarragon
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • salt and pepper to taste
-- Once couscous is cooked, turn out into a bowl to cool off.  Once cool, add chickpeas, cauliflower, celery, raisins, clementine slices, and onion.  Mix well.
-- Mix remaining ingredients (minus salt and pepper) in a small bowl and whisk until combined.  Pour over salad and stir to incorporate evenly. 
-- Taste and season as desired.  Serve immediately, or if possible, after the salad has had time to sit a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment