Thursday, September 12, 2013

Easy Pad Thai

People always rave about Pad Thai.  It's "the dish" to get if you're not familiar with Thai cuisine.  I've had it.  I don't like it.  There's something about the flavor I just can't get into.  Call me weird, that's fine.  You have your food, I have mine.

When I saw this post about a "more authentic Pad Thai" I was curious.  It didn't have fish cause in the recipe, and while it's not touted to be actually authentic, the author of the blog did say it's the closest she's come to tasting Pad Thai the way she had it in Thailand.  For me, that meant I had to try it.


The recipe is insanely easy.  It came together so fast I had to let the broccoli just sit in the skillet and go from beautiful bright green to dull not-picture-pretty green.  I know for next time, right?

Oh, and can I say I love this Pad Thai.  I have no personal experience on what this is supposed to taste like, but it doesn't taste like it does in restaurants and for that I am glad.


I served this with a side salad and steamed edamame.

Easy Pad Thai
serves 4

  • 8oz pkg Asian rice noodles
  • 3 TBLS brown sugar
  • 3 TBLS lime juice
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
  • 4 scallions, white parts sliced thin, green parts cut into 1 in pieces
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 5 cups chopped broccoli floret (1 medium head)
  • chopped peanuts, garnish
  • chopped cilantro, garnish
-- Soak noodles in hot water 10 minutes, according to directions.  Drain and set aside.
-- Once noodles have started soaking, make the sauce by combining the brown sugar, lime juice, and soy sauce.  Set aside.
-- In a large skillet or wok, heat a little bit of oil and saute the white scallion parts, garlic, and broccoli until the broccoli is bright green.
-- Add into the skillet/wok the noodles, green scallion pieces, and sauce.  Stir and mix 1-2 minutes until heated through and well coated.
-- Garnish each plate with peanuts and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment