I love great base recipes. Like this classic and simple lentil soup.
I like variations. Like this twist on the original which includes my favorite: sweet potatoes.
And I like inspiration for variation, like this recipe.
This soup is hearty and full of flavor. It's just as easy as the other two similar recipes and I think it may be my favorite of the three. Scot's favorite is still the sweet potato -- and really, there's nothing like the comfort of the original. You're safe with any of the three, really. The plus of this particular recipe -- the whole grain is in the soup to compliment the lentils and make it a complete protein. Score!
Lentil, Barley & Mushroom Soup
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 8oz pkg sliced mushrooms
- 1 can Italian diced tomatoes, with juice (or regular diced + 1 TBLS Italian seasoning)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1/2 cup barley, rinsed and picked over
- 1 TBLS Worcerchire sause (opt)
- salt and pepper to taste
-- Saute onion, carrots and mushrooms until tender. About 8-10 minutes.
-- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, and simmer 30-45 minutes until lentils and barley are fully cooked.
-- Taste and season as desired