So incredibly simple and oil free! A lot of times, glazed carrots and gooey and sticky, and I just don't like that. These babies and just ever so slightly glazed. The glaze gives them just a little oomph for a special dinner if needed, or, if you have kids (or a husband) who isn't fond of carrots, maybe this will be the turning point without compromising on health.
I got the idea over here, but tweaked it pretty well.
Slightly Cider Glazed Carrots
serves 4-6 sides
- 1 lb baby carrots (3-4 cups)
- 2 TBLS packed brown sugar
- 1 TBLS apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
-- Cook or roast carrots. Drain if needed.
-- Mix remaining ingredients together until sugar dissolves. Simply pour over carrots and stir to coat well. You can also heat it all together in a small sauce pan (preferred if there is time).
These red potatoes are such that you could eat them in the summer next to a burger, or next week alongside your turkey (or stuffed acorn squash). My boys love these, and since I buy white potatoes so rarely, this is my preferred way to eat them when I do buy them for another recipe (read: soup) and have leftovers. Like most dishes involving balsamic vinegar, they're even better after a few days. I've even eaten these cold, and they're fabulous!
Seasoned Red Potatoes
Serves: 6 (1 cup portions)
Active time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 13 minutes
Serving Suggestions: With pretty much any main dish that you would serve potatoes with. Grilled chicken, green beans, and/or a small bowl of soup.
What you'll need:
- 6 cups small cubed red potatoes
- 1 TBLS olive oil
- 3 TBLS balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp crushed spices: thyme, basil, and oregano are our favorite OR Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
What you'll do:
- Boil, roast, or microwave potatoes until “fork tender”.
- Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a small bowl.
- Once potatoes are done, drain if necessary, and place in serving bowl. Pour "sauce" over the potatoes and stir to coat.
Alternative: Add 3 cups chopped and cooked green beans (12 oz frozen bag). Increase Balsamic Vinegar to ¼ cup and herbs to 1 TBLS. Salt and pepper to taste.