When there's a bite in the air or snow on the ground, I crave a good hearty soup or chili with cornbread or muffins to go with it. This soup is a cross between a vegetable soup and a chili. It's chocked full of vegetables and has the standard chili fare of beans and tomatoes with the added bonus of quinoa. It always gets rave reviews from guests, and it freezes beautifully
Ultimate Vegetable & Bean Soup
Serves 8 (14 cups total)
Active time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
Serving Suggestions: Serve with a simple green salad and a hunk of cornbread or muffins.
What you'll need:
- 2 TBLS olive oil
- 4 cups ½-inch chunks of zucchini and or yellow squash, skins on
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 TBLS minced garlic
- 8 oz package chopped white mushrooms
- 2 15oz cans beans, rinsed and drained (light red kidney, dark red kidney, or black bean) Best results with differing variations
- 2 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups frozen corn OR 1 can sweet corn, drained
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 TBLS tomato paste
- 2 TBLS brown sugar
- 1 1/2 TBLS cumin
- 1 TBLS chili powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well OR millet
- 1 TBLS red wine vinegar
What you'll do:
- Heat oil in a large pot and then saute squash, zucchini, onions, garlic, and mushrooms for 15 minutes, until onions are translucent and vegetables are all soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients except vinegar.
- Bring chili to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until quinoa is done.
- Add vinegar and stir before serving.
Time tip: Microwave the squash and zucchini 6-8 minutes to soften a little.
Chop onion, garlic, and mushrooms while squash/zucchini is microwaving