Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pumpkin, Black Bean & Quinoa Chili

I really like this sweet potato quinoa chili.  There's something so comforting about it.  So when I saw this recipe for a very similar looking chili, I hopped on board that train and set out to make it.  I thought to myself that if it were better than the sweet potato version, I would toss that recipe out and keep the new one -- but I couldn't make a call on which one was better -- so I kept both and just tweaked the sweet potato one to be a little more like stew if I wanted.

This is an easy meal to throw together.  Everything is in one pot and it's hearty and filling.  It is warmth and comfort in a bowl, and who can argue the wonderfulness of that?!


Pumpkin, Black Bean & Quinoa Chili
serves 4-6
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes, with juice
  • 2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 15oz can pure pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp cinamon
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup dry quinoa
  • Green onions, sliced for garnish (opt)
-- Saute onion in large soup pot or dutch oven until soft -- 7-10 minutes.
-- Add everything else, minus quinoa and stir until combined well and pumpkin is incorporated
-- Add quinoa, bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer uncovered 20 minutes until quinoa is fully cooked.  Stir occasionally.
-- Serve with green onions as garnish, if desired 

No comments:

Post a Comment