Monday, January 13, 2014

Red Lentil and Squash Stew

Don't you just love a good hearty stew in the middle of winter?  I do.  It's probably the #1 reason there are so many great soups and stews on here.  Some food bloggers tend toward sweets or salads or what-have-you.  I guess I tend toward meals your can serve in a bowl and scrap up with a spoon.  I feel very fortunate all three of my boys love them as much as I do!

I saw this recipe floating around on Pinterest right when fall hit -- the original recipe calls for pumpkin -- but I opted to use an acorn squash and was really pleased with the outcome.  I love the ginger and cumin combination along with the red lentils and squash.  Mmmm....love it.

Oh.  The best part of this recipe?  Crockpot, baby!  Oh yeah.

Original recipe found here.

Red Lentil & Squash Stew
serves 4-6
  • 1 lb acorn (or other) squash, or pumpkin.  Peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped carrots
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup dry red lentils
  • 2 TBLS tomato paste
  • 1 TBLS fresh grated ginger
  • 1 TBLS lime juice
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric
  • 1/4 tsp peper
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • salt to taste
-- Combine everything in a crockpot and cook on low for 7-8 hrs, or high for 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment