I once had a chicken tortilla soup with similar ingredients to this soup and I just loved it so much I had to try and recreate it while making it healthier. This is my rendition. The beans combined with the barley give you the complete protein and also lends itself very nicely to a great spring time soup!
Orange Vegetable Soup
Serves 8-10 (16 cups total)
Active time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Serving Suggestions: A soup like this only needs some great bread and a simple green salad.
What you'll need:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups orange juice
- 1 (14 oz) can tomato sauce OR 2 8oz cans
- 1 cup raw barley
- 1 TBLS dried cilantro or 3 TBLS fresh
- 2 (14 oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
What you'll do:
- Saute the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots until soft and translucent. About 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, minus beans, to the stockpot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 40 minutes until the barley is soft.
- Once barley is done, add beans to the stock pot. Heat through, season to taste, and serve.